Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Devon Causey '15

Name: Devon Causey
Major: Psychology,  Religion Minor
Class of: 2015
Hometown: Findlay, OH
Currently Located: Pittsburgh, PA

1)  What has life been like post-graduation?
               "Life post-graduation has been a whirlwind of learning, discovery, and changes. I moved to Pittsburgh where I began working at Pace School. Pace is a school for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and behavioral challenges. I worked the summer program at Pace, which was a huge learning experience in the field of special needs education. I am currently working full time at Pace School in a mostly non-verbal classroom."  
                
2)  What advice do you have for current students?
               "Start exploring different areas in your field to figure out what types of jobs you are most interested in. Make connections with professors, alumni, and professionals in your desired field who will give you support when you begin looking for jobs. Another piece of advice is to apply to multiple places so that you have options when the job offers come."

3)  How has your vision of your future transformed or changed?
               "My vision of the future is still unclear. I like my job working with kids with Autism Spectrum Disorder, but I am still not sure if it is what I will pursue long term. It is a great experience and something that will help   me continue to develop my vision for the future."

4)  What are the most important skills students in your field should start to develop now?
               "Patience – If you have a job in any field where you are working with kids, you need to have patience. Patience is especially important when working with children with special needs.       
               Teamwork – This is a skill that is very important in most fields, but especially if you plan to work in a school or school-type environment.
               Time Management/Organization – If you are working in a setting like mine where you keep track of behavioral/skill tracking data you need you need to have time management and organizational skills.  
               Communication – You will be communicating daily with your team members, your supervisors, other employees, and clients."
              
5)  What are your plans and goals for the future?
               "My goal is to continue gaining experience in my field and figure out what it is that I want to do for   the rest of my life. Right now my plans are to finish the school year at my current job and figure out my next move. Possibilities include going to grad school, moving to a new city, and so many more!"

No comments:

Post a Comment