Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Kristen Bennett '12

Name: Kristen Bennett
Major: Speech Communication
Class of: 2012
Job Title: Brand Media Coordinator
Hometown: Wadsworth, OH
Currently Located: Fort Worth, TX

1) What is your job?
          "I’m a media planner at an advertising agency in downtown Fort Worth, and it’s an amazing job!  I have the opportunity to work with some amazing brands to assist in their digital advertising efforts.  I can truly say that I enjoy getting up every morning and coming into work."

2)  What has life been like post-graduation?
          "It hasn’t always been easy or even enjoyable, if I’m being honest, but I soon learned that’s just part of the journey.  One of the most difficult things for me, having been so active in college, was adjusting to a sit-down, desk job. Now that I’ve made a cross-country move to Texas and landed a dream job, life finally feels like it’s all starting to come together, and I’m loving every minute of it."

3)  What advice do you have for current students?
          "Take advantage of every opportunity that is afforded to you as students of Otterbein University. Networking is one of the most important skills students can have, as a great deal of career opportunities come to fruition as a result of who you know.  Prepare for post-graduation as early as possible through career development courses, informational interviews, networking, and internships.

4)  How has your vision of your future transformed or changed?
          "I had absolutely no idea where I wanted to end up career-wise in the future when I first graduated college.  Now that I’ve had several years of experience, I’ve honed in on a career path that I never thought would be in my future: education.  I feel so fortunate to have attended a college with as many real-world experiences and opportunities as Otterbein, so I want to be able to provide these same opportunities to college students.

5)  What are the most important skills students in your field should start to develop now?
          "Interviewing skills, hands down.  There are a ton of people that graduate with degrees in Communications or a similar field.  Why should you be hired over someone else?  It’s vital that you have the ability to talk positively of yourself in an interview and sell the potential future employer on why you would make a valuable asset to their team.

6)  What are your plans and goals for the future?
          "One of the most important things to me is that I’m helping others by making a measurable difference.  My long term goal is to work at a college, whether it be in an Admissions Office or as a Professor because I want to help students discover their passions and get them started on pursuing their career aspirations.  Outside of my career goals, I want to have a family, spend more time volunteering, and continue to purse athletic/fitness endeavors."

No comments:

Post a Comment